Snapchat has quickly taken over the social media landscape. But what is it? In a nutshell, it’s a social media tool that harnesses communication, creativity and storytelling, by allowing users to create “snaps” or “stories” that are sent to followers in the moment. These means, once a “snap” is viewed it automatically expires and the content can no longer be seen. Stories can also be created (a collection of snaps), and these expire within 24 hours.
Users can add fun effects to their photos and videos by adding text, fun filters, emojis and lenses.
Why should savvy marketers care about Snapchat?
- Users spend on average 25-30 minutes everyday, creating snaps or stories, discovering content and communicating with their friends
- Snapchat reaches 41% of 18-34 year olds in the U.S.
- 10+ billion videos are viewed everyday
- 100+ million active users worldwide
Want to give Snapchat a try?
- Snapchat can be used to create a community of followers, similar to Twitter and Instagram.
- Traditional social media photos and videos, may not be optimized for Snapchat, so be prepared to curate content specifically for Snapchat.
- Snapchat is ideal for businesses targeting a younger demographic who are interested in generating brand awareness. It may not be ideal for brands seeking direct sales.
- There are a few advertising products that are available for brands such as geo-filters, custom lenses and ad snaps. Currently, these are for brands with very large ad budgets.
- Check 0ut Gatorade’s Snapchat success story.